To make your own wonderful natural lip balms from cocoa butter, jojoba wax &
• 15ml Aluminium tins – I used these 10ml tins x 10
• Glass or metal bowl or jug to melt ingredients in ‘bain marie‘ style over a pan of hot water
• Metal spoon to stir
• Metal cooling rack or somewhere flat and safe to leave balms to cool
• 26g Jojoba Wax (vegan alternative to Beeswax)
• 50g Base oil – best ones to start with are Safflower, Grapeseed, Apricot or Almond oil, (to make a more luxurious balm replace 10ml of the 50ml with Jojoba, or to make body balm use 60g oil)
• Essential oil – This is optional, you can choose to let the natural smell of the cocoa butter come though. I chose to use Lemon and Orange, but you can try these too Spearmint, Peppermint, Rose, Benzoin or vanilla extract cosmetic grade. (Do take care with these, avoid direct contact of neat oils on skin).Essential oil pairings to try:
PULSE POINT BALM
PMT/Hormones – 8 drops Geranium +8 drops Clary Sage +8 drops Lavender
So lets make!
- Set up equipment for heating part – a pan with a little water in the bottom with a glass jug or metal jug inside to heat ‘bain marie’ style.
- Put out tins ready for pouring – cooling rack or heat proof board
- Essential oils and/or mica ready for adding
- Stickers ready for when balms are cooled
- Turn on heat! Then put cocoa butter and olive wax in container and start to melt
- Now add all of the oil and gently stir with metal spoon until all lumps are gone
- Everything should now be a liquid, time to add your mica and your essential oils
- Now carefully pour into tins one at a time, filling just below the top of the tin
- Allow to cool at room temperature, loosely place on lids – or you can gently cover with a piece of kitchen roll as long as it does not touch the balms.
- When solid you can put on stickers (if you didn’t before you poured!